While taking the Duolingo English Test, you will need to comply with the following rules.
- Make sure you are alone in a quiet, well-lit room.
- Make sure your ears are always visible and not covered (e.g. covered by hair, a hat, etc.).
- Make sure your face is visible and not obscured by sunglasses or other accessories.
- In order to receive a valid test result, you must speak for at least 30 seconds on the topics presented during the graded speaking section.
- Do not wear headphones or earphones.
- Do not use any outside materials, including mobile devices, notes, or textbooks.
- Do not communicate with anyone else.
- Do not use any writing utensils or paper.
- Do not leave the test window on your web browser for any reason.
- Do not look away from the screen.
- Do not use any predictive input method.
- Do not use any third party web camera software.
- Do not use a second monitor.
If you violate any of these rules, Duolingo reserves the right to invalidate your test results and take more severe measures as listed on this page.