Frequently Asked Questions
Spring 2023 Test Updates
- What are faster results? When will my results be available?
- May I purchase a test with faster results within a test bundle?
- May I purchase a test with faster results using a coupon code?
- If I purchase a test with faster results and appeal my results, will my appeal response arrive faster or be prioritized?
About the Duolingo English Test
- When and where can I take the Duolingo English Test?
- How long does the Duolingo English Test take?
- How often can I take the Duolingo English Test?
- How long are my Duolingo English Test results valid?
- Do you have any research on how effective the Duolingo English Test is at measuring English proficiency?
Preparing for the Duolingo English Test
- Why are all test instructions in English now?
- How do I disable startup applications on a Windows computer?
- How can I make sure my microphone clearly records my voice?
- Test Update: New Interactive Reading questions
- Why is the Writing Sample scored now?
- Why did we remove the choice of prompts in the writing and speaking samples? See all 18 articles
Duolingo English Test Rules and Requirements
- ★ Test Policies, Rules, and Requirements
- Can I memorize answers from other sources to use for my writing responses?
- How can I make sure my test video is clearly visible?
- How can I show that I am the one typing during the test?
- How can I make sure my test environment is secure?
- How can I make sure I properly answer the graded speaking questions? See all 34 articles
Taking the Duolingo English Test
- I received a message that my session timed out. What does this mean and what should I do?
- Webcam/Video Not Working on Lenovo Devices?
- My test won't upload after I've completed the test. What should I do?
- Why do I need to take a photo of myself and my ID?
- My country or ID type is not listed. What should I do?
- Why do I need to enable my webcam before taking the test? See all 8 articles
Interpreting your Duolingo English Test Results
- What is an Unofficial Result?
- Does the Duolingo English Test have sub-scores? Can I see how I did on a specific question?
- What is the difference between the 100-point and 160-point scale?
- How long does it take to receive my results?
- Where can I find my test results?
- How do I interpret my Duolingo English Test results? See all 7 articles
- My identity could not be verified because I submitted an ID that is different from the type of ID you selected during test setup. How can I fix this?
- My identity could not be verified because I submitted a form of ID that is not accepted for the Duolingo English Test. How can I fix this?
- My identity could not be verified because my ID contains native Chinese characters, but I did not provide them in the given name and surname fields. How can I fix this?
- My identity could not be verified because my ID was expired. How can I fix this?
- My identity could not be verified because I did not enter my full legal name or correct birth date. How can I fix this?
- My identity could not be verified because my ID was damaged. How can I fix this? See all 26 articles
Sending your Results
- How do I view the institutions I have previously sent my test results to?
- Boost your career: Add your Duolingo English Test certificate to your LinkedIn or CV/Resume
- Can I have a PDF version of my certificate?
- How do I know what scores are accepted by specific institutions?
- How do I send my Duolingo English Test results to institutions?
- How much does it cost to send my Duolingo English Test results to institutions? See all 12 articles
- How many chances do I get to take the Duolingo English Test when I purchase it?
- Payment processor compliance updates (March 2022)
- What is a test bundle? How do test bundles work?
- Can I purchase a Duolingo English Test coupon from a third-party seller?
- Can someone else purchase my Duolingo English Test for me?
- How do I apply a coupon code? See all 9 articles
- I took the Duolingo English Test with an Access Program fee waiver. Is the proctoring process any different?
- How does a student use the Access Program fee waiver to pay for their test?
- I received an Access Program fee waiver from a university. Can I share my test score with more than one university?
- Do students have to be from a specific country to qualify for these Access Program fee waivers?
- Do students have to be from a certain income level to qualify for these Access Program fee waivers?
- I’m a student in need of an Access Program fee waiver. Can I request this on my own?
Competitive Research Grants
- Is there a preference as to whether the research should be quantitative or qualitative in nature?
- Can I collaborate with the staff of the Duolingo English Test on the research?
- Is there a preference as to whether the quantitative research should focus on methodological innovations with simulation studies or on applications of existing methods on the empirical data?
- Can the research grant be used for hiring graduate students to help with the research?
- I want to do research on a topic that is not listed in the announcement. Can I submit a proposal?
- My institution wants me to conduct all my research through their Research Office which will charge 20% overhead. Is this acceptable? See all 9 articles
- Are there any terms and conditions for applying for this grant that are not listed in the call for applications? For example, does Duolingo expect any deliverables or IP agreements from awardees?
- Do references count toward the 1500-word limit for my award application?
- I cannot get a letter of support from my supervisor because they are on leave. Can I skip this step?
- What can I use the award money for? Do I have to provide receipts for expenses?
- I have just started my PhD study. Am I eligible to apply?
- I am doing my PhD outside the U.S. Will I be considered for the dissertation award?